Inspiration and reason for the creation
Inspired by the plants and botanicals found in the grounds at Heckfield Place, the spiritual home of our brand. The aroma immediately transports you to the grounds of this idyllic estate and the surrounding woodlands, meadows, and gardens. The botanicals envelope your senses and allow you to reconnect.
Today one of the biggest challenges we face is how to prevent the skin from becoming damaged from repeated hand washing and use of hand sanitizers. The more our hands are in water the more of the skins natural oils are lost. Every time you wash your hands the skins barrier becomes weaker and that skins barrier is the skins guardian angel protecting it from bacteria and irritants. As Autumn and winter approach the condition of our hands is only going to get worse as gloves zap the natural moisture from the skin and the dry air challenges the skin to stay hydrated and nourished.
With this in mind our scientists set out on the quest to find a bespoke complex of milder surfactants (that break the bonds between oil and water to aid the removal of the microbes) that would still cleanse the skin effectively without stripping the skin of its natural oils.
The science behind the formulation
We at Wildsmith challenge ourselves with every formulation to push the technical boundaries and be modern in our approach to skincare and are committed to avoiding the use of harsh ingredients such as sodium lauryl sulphate. Using anionic, non-ionic and amphoteric surfactants (cleansing agents that are naturally oil and water soluble) means we can create the perfect balance between product effectiveness and skin loving and caring cleansing ingredients. If you live in a hard water area you will know how drying this can be, the fusion of these ingredients is the perfect way to neutralize the effects of hard water on the skin.
Complete solution for protecting the hands
Comforting the driest of hands, nurturing the skin and soothing the dryness around the knuckles and cuticles is what is achieved with just one pump of the Wildsmith Skin Hand Lotion. Once the skin is cleansed its imperative to nurture the hands, dry hands can be aggravated by dry, cold climates and frequent hand washing. Be aware when the weather changes and the temperatures drop the air becomes drier and your skin feels the loss of moisture as the cold air is zapping the moisture from the skin.
Science of the skin on the back of the hands
The skin on the back of the hands is a lot thinner than that on the rest of the body and the skin on the back of the hands is also completely different to that of the palms. The limited number of sebaceous (oil) glands on the back of the hands means the skin suffers from a reduction of natural oils and lipids that the rest of the skin on the face and body benefits from. Your hands need lipid replacement daily to ensure the skin is nourished and protected. Our hand lotion is packed with lipid loving ingredients to offer immediate comfort and relief for that dry, taught feeling.
Bio actives to deliver results
Due to lack of naturally produced lipids on the back of our hands it is essential every drop of Wildsmith Skin Hand Lotion is enriched with copious lipid ingredients. Harvested in West Africa, Shea Butter comes from the nut of the fruit of the Shea trees. Thanks to the high concentration of fatty acids and vitamins in Shea Butter the skin is immediately soothed and nourished, the skins barrier is reinforced, and the moisture is sealed in. Aloe Barbaensis, a type of Aloe vera, is renowned for its calming and cooling properties whilst also delivering antimicrobial benefits, antioxidant protection and is an effective humectant (draws moisture in). Aloe Barbaensis is found in tropical climates around the world and is a powerful ingredient ensuring the hands are protected with potent antioxidants essential to support and repair the skin barrier which is attacked and compromised daily.
Wildsmith Skin Pro Care tips
- For an intensive treat when the skin feels rough and dry, take a Wildsmith Skin teaspoon worth of Active Repair Radiance Polisher and mix in with the Hand wash to create an exfoliating hand wash. Cleansing with the natural biodegradable cleansers and exfoliating with the fruit seed powders leaves the hands feeling cashmere soft. Be sure to follow with Wildsmith Skin Hand lotion to lock in hydration.
- Always apply Wildsmith Skin Hand Lotion after every hand wash and ensure the backs of the hands are treated, comforted, and cocooned with the lotion first. One of the biggest mistake people make is put their hand cream into the palm of the hands but it is the back of the hands that are the thinnest and most fragile and should be the priority.
- At night-time take a few drops of our Wildsmith Skin Active Super Oil and one pump of the hand cream and massage, concentrating on the backs of the hands and cuticles, this make an intensive overnight hand treatment.
- If you have noticed your cuticles are becoming dry and you are suffering with hangnails (jagged piece of skin around the cuticle). Apply a small amount of the Wildsmith Skin Ceramide Lipid Repair Balm and massage into the cuticles and any dry patches you may be have noticed like the knuckles. Then massage over the top with the Wildsmith Skin Hand Lotion for an intensive hand treatment.
- Do not forget to wear gloves whilst you are doing the washing up, especially if you find your hands are frequently immersed in water for long periods of time.